Saturday 25 February 2017

Around South Thailand in 30 days


SOUTH THAILAND

The roads thus travelled: Bangkok > Ao Nang > Koh Phi Phi > Koh Lanta


CHECKLIST:

1. Get on the plane to Thailand: slightly more complicated than one would expect - apparently you need proof of intent to actually exit the country within 30 days of arrival. Result: two very startled backpackers, making an emergency purchase of bus tickets to Cambodia at Manchester airport.
2. Eat some sort of insect/scorpion: first night in Bangkok ... tastes just like crunchy prawns.
3. Be a savvy traveller: unfortunately we were conned on our second day and ended up buying train tickets for quadruple their actual value. Note: stay clear of seemingly sweet Thai ladies outside 7/11!
4. Stay away from stray animals: a consistent failure of epic proportions. I hug puppies, carry kitties, and generally have to be restrained from putting animals in my backpack.
5. Stay in contact with the loved ones back home: I think I actually talk to them more now I'm travelling ... And I'm not entirely sure that they enjoy this ;)
6. Be sensible: ... aka don't get threatened with the Mafia when at a Ping Pong show - whoops.
7. Ride a moped: I got the pinkest scooter possible - no crashes, no breakdowns - winning!
8. Be a cultured and knowledgable traveller: we were doing so well ... until we gatecrashed the King's funeral (I'm genuinely surprised that we weren't deported)
9. Try something never done before: do mushroom shakes count?
10. Write my first blog post before getting to Cambodia: ... you ask too much of me.

Current Favourites ...
Favourite place: Koh Lanta
Favourite dish: Tofu massaman curry!! (Although I must confess I have fallen prey to the very Thai, cough, pre-made cheese toasties from 7/11)
Favourite moment: taking a shower under the waterfall in Koh Lanta

Next stops: Phuket > Koh Pha Ngan > Koh Tao > Bangkok


The Palace in Bangkok (5 mins prior to gate crashing the funeral)


The best tofu massaman curry 


Waterfall antics in Koh Lanta


Me with my pink scooter :)


Visiting the animal shelter and contemplating putting kitties in my backpack 





No comments:

Post a Comment